Thursday, May 5, 2011

Serenity Springs


When I learned that we were to do a volunteer service learning project, I was ecstatic.  There’s just something special about giving a hand to someone who dedicates their life to a cause.  Looking at the list of places to volunteer, I knew right away that I wanted to be at Serenity Springs Sanctuary.  I have only ever volunteered at an animal shelter, and while that was a rewarding experience, I couldn’t wait for the opportunity to spend time with pigs. From this excursion, I wanted two things: 1) I wanted to learn about pigs, since I have never spent time with one before, and 2) I wanted to hear Terry’s stories.  I’ve always loved hearing “rescue stories” about the compassionate people who take it upon themselves to care for animals left abandoned, neglected, or abused. 
Setting off on my adventure to Serenity Springs Sanctuary, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.  Because it was such a beautiful day, I made the drive with my little Mazda Miata’s top down, the radio off, and my thoughts to reflect on my next five hours in Forestburg.  I have been struggling with the idea of completely becoming a vegetarian.  For a year, I worked at an organic pizza place that was very vegetarian friendly, I ended up just not really eating meat because the vegetarian dishes were just so good.  However, I also come from a line of people who lived in the country and hunted.  As a society, we have lost the sacredness of an animals' life because animals have become so objectified in our culture.  With factory farming, this trend will not get any better, but if there was some way to revert back to using small time farmers, then perhaps we will regain our humanity.  While using small farms means that meat will not be as readily available as one would find in a supermarket, and would probably be more expensive, “maybe when we did eat animals, we’d eat them with the consciousness, ceremony and respect they deserve” (Pollan). When I made my way up the windy, gravel drive, I spotted an older lady on a Gator toting with her rakes, buckets, and tools.  In the distance, I could see a pasture of horses, and a pony wandering the area.  I soon learned that the pony’s name was Buddy, and that he liked to accompany people, much like a dog would.  Right off the bat, I knew I would get along with Terry.  She was funny, down-to-earth, and unbelievably compassionate.  
She showed me around, and introduced me to every feral, farm, and potbellied pig in the sanctuary.  She knew every story for each pig.  The story that moved me the most, was about a pig named Trooper.  Surrendered by his owners to an animal shelter, he was brought in with a rope that had been tied around his leg since he was a small pig.  With this rope, he was tied to a tree for years. Terry made the trip to the animal shelter, and on the way back had to work to keep his body temperature regulated since it was such a hot summer.  Before they had even made it back, a portion of his leg fell off and was held by on by just a tendon because of the lack of circulation from the rope that hindered him for most of his life. Despite getting her vet out as soon as was possible, Trooper passed away.  I couldn't help but grieve for Terry as she told the tale, you could tell the situation had troubled her deeply.  How could people be so cruel?  The worst part is that since the owners had turned Trooper in, they were exempt from any animal negligence charges that they may have received if he was actually confiscated from them.  Francione compares the ownership and exploitation of animals as property to slavery.  While this can be true to an extent, in the case of Trooper, he was treated more like a prisoner in solitary confinement than a slave, which is arguably a worse fate.  The most heartbreaking part of this story was when Terry uttered the words, "He never even had the chance to spend just one day as a happy pig." According to Singer and Mason, in the west, we tend to privilege certain species over others, however, "there is no distinction that can be made between humans and animals that would not require either including other species or excluding certain humans." Until we see that all animals (humans included) have the right to be treated with dignity and respect, animals will continue to suffer at our expense.

After Terry took me around, I started work. She was taking in some young pigs later in the week and needed to house them in a suitable pen that they wouldn't be able to wriggle out of.  So I "baby-proofed" a pen by cutting fencing and securing it to the existing fence with baling wire.  After a couple hours, the task was completed, and I spent the rest of my time helping to groom Buddy and petting the horses that she had also rescued.  I couldn't have asked for a better experience, and I plan on going back to Serenity Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment